Sunday 3 April 2011

The Aphra Collection

The Aphra Collection available as a free pdf download from Ravelry (clicking will download pattern) contains instructions for a hat pattern (with further instructions for optional colourwork striping) and a cowl pattern, which use purl bumps to create interest. They're very simple - just knit and purl, and all they require are counting to get the right pattern.

DSCF2850
Striped Hat




DSCF2872
Plain Hat and Cowl

Normally, I publish my patterns on the blog, but this time, I thought that with my first knit patterns that I would stretch my wings and try putting up a pdf on Ravelry. If you want to make only the cowl then you can download that page of the pdf separately. (clicking will download pattern)

DSCF2889
Cowl


This is the pattern which came out of this inspiration post. Very different from damask and porcelain. The porcelain came from the colours - the white of the Malabrigo Merino Worsted in Simply Taupe and the dark blue of the madelinetosh eyre in Fathom, the damask from the person that I was designing for. But I couldn't get my damask charts to work properly - it would work on a larger canvas, but not a hat. I've been really inspired by the work of Cecily Glowik MacDonald - the real (or at least, perceived) simplicity of her patterns. So I wondered, what I can do with just knit and purl?

DSCF2855

The Aphra collection was what I produced. I love counting and internal logic, so in this case, the distance between the row of purl bumps increases by one each time. In the case of the Striped Hat, there is a switch from white being the majority colour at the bottom, to blue at the top.


Aphra Hat: 

Aphra Cowl: 

0 thoughts:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com