Pattern is from Owlishly. It is called 'Sleepy Sarah' but my own attempt has ended up more like an awake gnome, due to using beads for eyes rather than sewing asleep eyes (I don't really have any black thread, which is why I chose to make the doll awake rather than asleep).
Friday, 27 February 2009
Friday, 20 February 2009
Thursday, 12 February 2009
This will require some imagination, because I sent these gloves off to my friend without taking a photo of them. Just imagine these (nb pdf) in the red colour of Dorian the dinosaur. Very simple single crochet, but I managed to make the bottom band in rows without severely reducing the number of rows so that it ends up like a pennant rather than a straight scarf. I made them a little smaller than the design as I have small hands, and judging from pictures of my friend and I together, her hands are similar size to mine (she's currently living 200 miles away so getting her to try them on throughout the process was not possible). My first attempt was a little too small and constrictive - a little painful. I wore them for a while after completing them, and they were exceedingly warm and useful for sitting in a warm room and typing!
Thursday, 5 February 2009
I've been making rice crispy cakes this week for a cake and puddings evening that we're holding this evening. As I do not have an oven, the cakes that I can make are reduced. Nevertheless, I decided to make rice crispy cakes and came up with a variety of types.
I've been making the amigurumi doll from Stitch for the last couple of weeks, and now it is almost finished. I haven't yet sewn on the head as it needs eyes and other facial features sewn on, and I haven't quite decided if I'm going to embroider or use buttons for eyes. I misread the instructions at the start and made it using 3.5mm hooks rather than 3mm so it is a little larger than I expected. I also chose to make the stripes twice as wide and continue working in spirals rather than rows. I think rows would have looked slightly better, but as I mixed the green (lovely 1/2 merino) wool with the purple then the spirals seem to fade together quite well. The hair took a long time, I measured 25cm strands of the brown half merino wool (same type as the green but a different colour) and threaded them onto a needle, then knotted and threaded them into the head. I tried to work out the shape of the hairline first, and then filled in the gaps. As it was a little uneven at the end, then I cut it to a more V shaped cut so that the strands were styled but also roughly the same length as those around them.
Monday, 2 February 2009
is intended to be a place for me to keep track of any artsy/crafty things that I do. The name is related to my other blog - the orangery - and is also because arboretum is a fun word to say. I doubt that much of my work will have anything to do with trees, but I am sure there will be some kind of link.
Posted by Sarah Francis at 09:58